Makes 35 to 50 truffles, depending on size.
(Mine usually numbered 60 to 100)
- 1/2 c heavy whipping cream
- 9 oz semisweet chocolate, melted
- 2 Tbsp (1/4 stick) butter
- 1 Tbsp dark corn syrup
- 2 Tbsp bourbon (for example, Jack Daniel's)
- 1/2 c chopped lightly roasted pecans, about 2 oz
- 16 oz semisweet chocolate (I like to err on having it
darker than the center)
- 8 oz toasted pecans
- 2 cookie sheets or jelly-roll pans lined with parchment or foil
- a small roasting pan for the pecans
The sweetness of the bourbon and the pecans is a perfect counterpoint to
bittersweek chocolate, and the constrast makes for an enticing truffle.
- To make the center mixture, bring cream to a boil and pour over the
chocolate; whisk smooth. Whisk in the butter, corn syrup, and bourbon.
- Cool the mixture to 80 degrees or until thickened.
- Use an electric mixer on medium speed to whip the mixture about a minute,
until it lightens in color. Then whip in the 1/2 c chopped pecans. Spoon
into a pastry bag fitted with a 1/2-inch plain tube (Ateco #6 or #806).
Pipe 3/4-inch balls onto the prepared pan. Chill the centers for at least an
hour. (I've used a 3/8-inch plain tube, but the centers are harder to make
- To coat the truffles, melt the chocolate, temper it according to the
instructions on pages 20-23, or allow it to cool to 90 degrees. Coat
truffles, following directions on pages 312, rolling them in the chopped
Storage: Place truffles in a tin or plastic container with a tight-fitting
cover and keep at a cool room temperature for up to a week.
Hazelnut Rum Truffles: Replace the pecans in the
recipe with hazelnuts that have been toasted, blanched (see page 13),
and chopped. Replace the bourbon with dark rum.
Walnut Nougatine Truffles: Replace the chopped
pecans in the center mixture with 1/2 c finely chopped Walnut Nougatine,
page 363. Replace the chopped pecans on the outside of the truffles
with chopped, toasted walnut pieces.
From Chocolate: From Simple Cookies to Extravagant
Showstoppers by Nick Malgieri, c1998 ISBN: 0-06-018711-5