- 4 1/2 c rolled oats
- 1 c flour
- 1 tsp backing soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2/3 c butter or substitute, softened
- 1/2 c honey
- 1/3 c brown rice syrup
- 1 tsp flax seeds (optional)
- 2 c goodies
Goodies can be pretty much anything you want. Our favorite combinations:
- Semisweet chocolate, rasins, and walnuts (or peanuts) in equal parts
- Dried cranberries, dried apples, and sunflower seeds in equal parts
Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Lightly grease 9x13 inch pan.
Mix ingredients adding the goodies last.
Press into pan and bake 21 minutes or till it just begins to
brown. Cool ten minutes before cutting, then cool
completely before removing from pan.
Ideas for variations:
- Replace butter with peanut butter to reduce dairy
- Replace most of the honey with rice syrup to reduce sweetness
Based on a recipe from allrecipes.com by Nancy Burstein.